Friday, March 30, 2012

Postage stamp baby quilt

DSC_0022

I'm finally getting around to posting about this little quilt, even though it was finished and given away at the beginning of the month.

DSC_0024

Two good friends from college are having a baby and aren't finding out the gender - which usually drives me insane when making quilts - but I decided to base the quilt off of a description of their nursery, which I was told is a beachy theme with blues, aquas, and some hints of orange.

DSC_0015

Each of the little squares is 2", which I first strip pieced in threes, then sewed into little nine patches.  Then I sewed four nine patches into larger blocks, then pieced everything together and added the tan border, which reminded me of the sea floor.

DSC_0017

I used the same fabric for the backing, which is actually a tablecloth that I picked up on clearance at Target about a year ago.  I free motion quilted it with a loopy pattern that traveled across each of the rows.

I hope this baby knows how special it will be since I cut into some of my precious Heather Ross fabric for this quilt!

6 comments:

  1. I love it! Your choice of fabrics is spot on! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily I think this is a great quilt - colors are perfect together -- boy or girl they will know they are special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this quilt, the colors are perfect :) I am sure the baby will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've just inspired me to make my own postage stamp quilt. I love this so much, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've just inspired me to make my own postage stamp quilt. I love this so much, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love this color palette. Blue is my favorite and I really like how well orange goes with it. Mostly I see blue and red quilts, this is more my speed.

    ReplyDelete